Monday, March 16, 2009

Family


So this weekend, I will have to say was one of the best weekends that I have had in a long time. Not that my weekends spent in Raleigh with Jodi and Jason aren't fabulous, but this one was just perfect and the timing was better than I could have picked. My dad's birthday was last weekend but Samuel and I decided to go to the beach instead of go home. Kind of sad huh? Well I love my dad more than he knows and so we decided to go home this weekend instead. To make things even better, my brother was home for spring break because Virginia Tech had their this past week. So anyways, we left as soon as we could on Friday afternoon which ended up being about 4 on Friday afternoon. We made it home in great time, say around 5:45. When we got there, mom had dinner just about ready. There was this tradition that my mother did growing up where every St.Patricks day, she made corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. It was like our little Irish meal and she made it every year. Along with this, we ALWAYS had Lucky Charms for breakfast on St.Patricks day. I guess I get all my little weird traditions and having to celebrate everything from my wonderful mother. Anyways, we got there and dinner was about 5 minutes from being done. I gave my dad his birthday card and present (a lighter for making my lots of fires in the fire place this weekend) and then we sat down for dinner. Dinner was fabulous followed by lots of exiting conversation :). After dinner, we all started cleaning up and of course had the ACC tournament going on the TV in the living room. Dad immediately started the fire and we all gathered in the living room. I don't remember the last time my family just sat around and talked. I mean when I go home, we always spend time together, but very few times does it include everyone. Normally dad is asleep or out in the yard, Paul may be downstairs with the dog or preoccupied with something on the computer, and Mom and I are in the kitchen yapping away while Samuel just watches TV or something. Anyways, we all sat down in the living room for a nice few hours of talking and catching up on life. Most of it consisted of drilling my brother about his personal life in terms of dating, school, and job searching. As for me and Samuel, the conversation quickly died as all we had to share was our newest kick for graduate school. I have to say that I absolutely enjoyed Friday night more than anything I have in a long time. Saturday was also full of spending time with my entire family. I guess I got lucky that it rained all weekend because my dad couldn't do any yard work. Saturday, I woke up about the time I do during the week but forced myself to lay there until around 8. At 8, I proceeded to go down stairs where my dad had just gotten in from feeding the sheep. We sat down on the back porch and talked for about an hour and half before everyone else got up. It is so great to be able to sit and talk to my dad like I did that morning. He just gave me some advice, listened to many stories, and shared some of his own. I have the most amazing father in the world and the older he gets, the more tender hearted he gets. I can't tell you how much I love that!! When everyone else got up, we decided nothing said fun like going to Wal Mart. So all 5 of us got in my Jeep (because I needed gas) and headed to Wal Mart. Of course, we all voted for a detour to the bakery downtown and got apple fritters and cupcakes!!! YUUMMMMYYYY!!! My very favorite cupcakes in the world! Saturday night, my friend Savanna came over for dinner and we just all sat and talked and played Cranium. Dad made it until about 9:45 and then had to go to bed. Savanna stayed until almost 12:30 and it was so great to just listen to her talk about her future and coming to grad school here. It sure is interesting how the Lord works things out. Saturday night was also another fabulous night. (And plus, mom let Copper stay in the livingroom with us all weekend!) Sunday, we decided, was a great day to just be together again. So much so that we bailed on the church scene. As terrible as it sounds, we just needed a break. Our schedule Sunday consisted of more conference championship games, Man vs.Wild, Final Desination 2, Planet Earth, and Saving Private Ryan. Needless to say, we got our share of TV time. Last night, we got back around 11:30 and went straight to bed. All day today all I could think about was how much this past weekend meant to me. Living away from my family makes me appreciate them so much more. I talk to them on a regular basis, but being with them is another story. I am sure many find this a boring thing to read, but I had to share. I had to say that I have the most amazing family in the world and I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father hand picked them for me! Well, looks like I am in for a little Rock Band tonight before One Tree Hill. Samuel is already jamming away to "Livin' on a Prayer." Better get going!

P.S. I will be eating Lucky Charms tomorrow. You should too!

No comments: